
The US government says that the unemployment rate is about 4.6% (as of 2006), but everywhere I turn there are people who are and have been out of work. I met one of the perpetually unemployed just last night at my gym. He was in his mid 40s, in sales, and can't find a job in Chicago to save his life. He started a conversation with me while I was waiting for my carry out dinner order. It went from, "what'd you order?" to "So you aren't working." The funny thing is, this guy was not working either. I have come to find that unemployed professionals are constantly trying to get leads out of casual conversations; you almost feel like you're getting mugged. I'm glad I have not been guilty of such an activity. People can't help but measure themselves up to others in their same situation. Which is why another frequent activity of the jobless is asking the question: How much am I worth?
Employers like to play the money game with you early -- when they post that job description on monster.com or speak to their recruiters. As a job seeker, you can set your value at the outset and search by that criteria. But the longer your search goes, the more your "value" may fluctuate. This is dependent on your mood for that day. When you are having a great day with interviews, etc., your value is pretty high. And on days when nothing is going on, and you are waiting for feedback or to schedule another interview, your value is low.
I've heard some stories about my parents' friends who were laid off from jobs they've had for 10-15 years. I wonder how they look at their value these days, having been out of work for 1-3 years. How do you reconcile your value (as determined by your last salary) with the current job market? It's rough out there. Should you take a job for less pay, thus decreasing your market value? Or do you hold out and wait for that perfect position, not knowing when it will come about? These are hard questions to answer.
As for my worth, my husband tells me he would pay millions for me. :) That's a pretty good start!
White tulle for trendy bridal gowns
2 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment