Monday, May 07, 2007

A typical Saturday afternoon...

This last Saturday, while my hubby was entertaining at the Cubs game, I embarked on my favorite pastime: shopping. I don't always buy, but I enjoy seeing what's out in the stores.

I shopped alone. I actually prefer to shop on my own for the most part. I can spend more time paying attention to something that I've read about in a magazine, or go to an obscure boutique. I can demonstrate great control by myself, but it is also then I can do the most damage. On the damage scale, Saturday was about a 4 in terms of items purchased and what purposes they serve, and a 6 for amount of money spent.

I do follow a few guidelines when I go shopping; mostly because shopping can be a tiring and frustrating activity, but I like to enjoy it for the fun aspects as often as possible while getting something accomplished at the same time.

Here are my tips:

1) Nothing says you have purchasing power than showing up looking decent.

My outfit -- H&M white striped 3/4 sleeve sweater, dark Seven For All Mankind jeans, Tory Burch "Reva" black flats, J. Crew black peacoat.

2) Always have some sort of game plan as far as where you are going, or what you are looking for.

I was looking for: blush, some new tops, and a leather jacket. Stores to hit: Bloomingdales, H&M, Banana Republic, Neiman Marcus, and Saks!


3) You never know what you will find, so keep your eyes open for deals/bargains/good finds.

I snagged a cream colored silk flutter sleeved blouse with painted dots on it from Banana Republic. They have finally gotten their heads out of their *sses and stopped doing vanity-sizing. I thought that was the worst idea ever, and clearly someone in management finally figured it out. It's a good work top, but can double as a going out top too.

I also found a great pair of Diesel jeans. I love jeans, and I own many, many pairs of designer jeans, but none by Diesel. The cut caught my eye when I passed by, so I tried them on. They are fantastic! The denim quality is excellent and made in Italy, the wash/cut quite flattering. I would have never thought of Diesel if I were looking for new denim, so it was a great find.

Lastly, a great deal was had at Coach, where I picked up a pair of brown python detail leather roman-style sandals for $69.00. It's going to look great with dresses, skirts, and jeans.


I didn't find my leather jacket; not too many people are showing the style I'm looking for, but I did find some blush and a bronzing shimmer oil from Stila, so all was well!

Can't wait to do it all again...next week? ;)

2 comments:

Marina said...

Isn't the upcoming NYC trip enough to scare you out of buying anything? I have not been able to go shopping since we booked the trip. Even grocery shopping (which is life sustaining) has been scary...I have been a very frugal girl lately!!

Marina said...

My frugality lately has even broght about change the name of my blog to... "The suburban adventures of a very frugal gal!"

 
template by suckmylolly.com